Dr. Janet Hsiao is an associate professor in the Department of Psychology at the University of Hong Kong.
Before joining HKU, she was a postdoctoral researcher in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering and the
Temporal Dynamics of Learning Center (TDLC) at
the University of California, San Diego (UC San Diego) and worked with Prof. Gary Cottrell.
She received the Ph.D. degree in Informatics from the University of Edinburgh in 2006,
the M.Sc. degree in Computing Science from Simon Fraser University in 2002,
and the B.Sc. degree in Computer Science from National Taiwan University in 1999.
Research Interests [more]
Cognitive Science, Computational Modeling, Eye Movement analysis with Hidden Markov Models (EMHMM),
Visual Cognition, Perceptual Expertise, Face Recognition, Visual Word Recognition, Reading, Hemispheric Asymmetry.
University of Edinburgh, the United Kingdom
Ph.D., Informatics, 2006.
Simon Fraser University, Canada
M.Sc., Computing Science, 2002.
National Taiwan University, Taiwan
B.S., Computer Science & Information Engineering, 1999.
Positions and Employments
- Head, Department of Psychology, University of Hong Kong, 2020 - present
- Principal Investigator, The State Key Laboratory of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, University of Hong Kong, Sept. 2019 - now
- Associate Professor, Department of Psychology, University of Hong Kong,
2015 - present.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Psychology, University of Hong Kong,
2009 - 2014.
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Department of Computer Science & Engineering, University of California, San Diego, 2005 - 2008.
Editorships and Services
- Section Editor, Cognition, June 2021 - now
- Associate Editor, Cognitive Science, July 2018 - now
- Academic Editor, PLOS ONE, Jan 2014 - Jan 2021
- Program Committee Member, Annual Meetings of Cognitive Science Society, 2016-now
Awards and Honors
- Early Career Award, the Research Grant Council of Hong Kong, 2012
- Best Language Modeling Paper Prize, the Twenty Eighth Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society, Vancouver, Canada, 2006.
- CCK Fellowships for Ph.D. Dissertations, Chiang Ching-kuo Foundation for International Scholarly Exchange, Taiwan, 2005.
- 2nd prize, Informatics Jamboree poster competition, University of Edinburgh, UK, 2005.
- Overseas Research Student scholarship, British Council, UK, 2002-2005.
- Informatics studentship, University of Edinburgh, UK, 2002-2005.
- Graduate Fellowship, Simon Fraser University, Canada, 2001.
- Five Presidential Awards in succession (Top 5% in class), National Taiwan University, Taiwan, 1996-1999.
- Scholarship from Rotary Club, Taiwan, 1996.
last update: Thursday, 01-Jul-2021 21:40:15 HKT