Dr. Janet Hsiao is an associate professor at the University of Hong Kong in
the Department of Psychology.
Before joining HKU, she was a postdoctoral researcher in the
Temporal Dynamics of Learning Center (TDLC) at
the University of California, San Diego (UC San Diego) and worked with Prof. Gary Cottrell.
She received the Ph.D. degree in Informatics (Cognitive Science) from the University of Edinburgh in 2006,
and her Ph.D. advisor was Dr. Richard Shillcock.
She received the M.Sc. degree in Computing Science from Simon Fraser University in 2002,
and her M.Sc. advisor was Prof. Bob Hadley.
She received the B.Sc. degree in Computer Science from National Taiwan University in 1999.
Research Interests [more]
Cognitive Science, Cognitive Neuroscience, Computational Modeling, Eye Movement analysis with Hidden Markov Models (EMHMM),
Perceptual Expertise, Psycholinguistics, Hemispheric Asymmetry
Eye movement pattern analysis, face recognition, visual word recognition, Chinese character recognition, English word recognition, object recognition, language reading, music notation reading,
bilingual language processing.
University of Edinburgh, the United Kingdom
Ph.D., Informatics (Cognitive Science), 2006.
Simon Fraser University, Canada
M.Sc., Computing Science, 2002.
National Taiwan University, Taiwan
B.S., Computer Science & Information Engineering, 1999.
Positions and Employments
- Associate Professor, University of Hong Kong,
Department of Psychology, 2015 - present.
- Assistant Professor, University of Hong Kong,
Department of Psychology, 2009 - 2014.
- Postdoctoral Researcher, University of California, San Diego,
Department of Computer Science & Engineering, 2005-2008.
Editorships and Services
- Associate Editor, Cognitive Science: A Multidisciplinary Journal, July 2018 - now
- Academic Editor, PLOS ONE, Jan 2014 - now
- Program Committee Member, Annual Meetings of Cognitive Science Society, 2016-now
Awards and Honors
- Early Career Award, the Research Grant Council of Hong Kong, 2012
- Best Language Modeling Paper Prize, the Twenty Eighth Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society, Vancouver, Canada, 2006.
- CCK Fellowships for Ph.D. Dissertations, Chiang Ching-kuo Foundation for International Scholarly Exchange, Taiwan, 2005.
- 2nd prize, Informatics Jamboree poster competition, University of Edinburgh, UK, 2005.
- Overseas Research Student scholarship, British Council, UK, 2002-2005.
- Informatics studentship, University of Edinburgh, UK, 2002-2005.
- Graduate Fellowship, Simon Fraser University, Canada, 2001.
- Five Presidential Awards in succession (Top 5% in class), National Taiwan University, Taiwan, 1996-1999.
- Scholarship from Rotary Club, Taiwan, 1996.
last update: Tuesday, 17-Jul-2018 23:45:59 HKT